(c) Tomamaso Awerbuch, courtesy of Sony World Photography Awards
It’s time to shine! Whip out your camera and send in your best photos to this international photography competition. There’s even a category for amateurs!
The Sony World Photography Awards celebrates the best of professional and amateur photography across the globe. David Tay, President of The Photographic Society of Singapore, describes photography as “an international language, with no barriers of nationality, race, religion or creed. Perhaps, because of this ‘borderless’ appeal, there is no denying that photography today is a dominant influence in mass communication. It is a powerful medium…” David is also one of the SWPA Academy members.
So don’t be afraid, let your images speak in this competition. Here’s the last call for entries for the 2009 Sony World Photography Awards! The closing date is Dec 31, 2008. It is free to enter.
There weren’t any Singapore winners in 2008 so here’s your chance to represent Singapore at the awards. Did we mention that the awards will take place in Cannes next year?
If you’re still not convinced, perhaps these prizes will entice you:
- Winners of the Professional categories will be awarded with $25,000 while winners of the Amateur categories will receive $5,000.
- The winning photos will be exhibited around the world as part of the SWPA Global tour.
- Winning photos will also be published in the 2009 SWPA book.
- Sony Digital SLR Camera and Vaio
- The first place winner of each category (12 for professionals and 8 for amateurs) will enjoy an all expenses paid trip and receive VIP tickets to attend the evening gala awards ceremony at Cannes.
- Also, the winners will receive VIP passes to attend the World Photography Festival screenings, workshops, exhibitions, talks and other events taking place throughout the city of Cannes.
Sidenote: Congrats and All the Best to Cheryl Soh, Hai Poh Lee, Johnathan Lee, William Toh, Ramaa Venkatachar, Michael Toh, Yeow Kwang Yeo, You Lian Koo for participating in the competition!